Question:
Why do we use "I" to represent the alleles for Blood Typing?
2006-02-09 10:44:18 UTC
Why do we use "I" to represent the alleles for Blood Typing?
One answer:
Radiocrow
2006-02-09 11:00:41 UTC
The "I" stands for Immunoglobulin.

Quote: For the ABO gene, the three alleles are the IA, IB and i alleles. We typically call these alleles "A," "B," and "O," but of course our rules for assigning symbols to alleles demand that all three be represented by some version of the same symbol. In this case, that common symbol is the letter "I," which stands for "immunoglobin."