Question:
Why do most people say that the heart is on the left hand side of the chest cavity?
Harsh
2006-04-05 00:27:34 UTC
As ar as ny knowedge goes, the heart is situated at the centre in our body.
Ten answers:
gigi
2006-04-05 08:21:48 UTC
The heart is located in the thoracic cavity between the lungs. If you were to draw a vertical line down the center of the chest, you would find that about two-thirds of the heart is on the left and one third on the right. The pointed end of the heart points to the left. So we can say that the heart is mostly on the left side.
NeuroProf
2006-04-05 09:21:02 UTC
The heart is slightly to the left- Because of this, the right lung has 3 lobes, while the left lung has only 2. There are a small number of people which have this reversed, though.
wow_rmkr
2006-04-05 07:29:02 UTC
it is centered. However since the left ventricle has a stronger pump associated with circulating blood to the body (instead of the right side pumping blooed to the lungs) the left side is more pronounced and can be felt.
Hetty
2006-04-05 10:43:49 UTC
I knew a guy when I was younger whose heart was in the wrong place and regularly had to go for checkups. he was ok, it was just more centred than the 'normal' heart which is just slightly left of centre.
tattooed_babe24
2006-04-05 07:36:25 UTC
The heart is located left of center.
2006-04-05 07:33:28 UTC
It is on the left hand side of the body, just not the far left hand side.
tinikk
2006-04-05 07:45:21 UTC
it is slightly tilted towards the left... if you trace your rib cage up to where it sort of meets... find the half way mark between that spot and the place where ur collarbone sort of meets..then put the bottom of ur clenched palm at the middle... you shoud feel your heart.. it's sota tilted to the left...
2006-04-05 07:51:50 UTC
And that's as far as your knowledge goes.
?
2006-04-05 07:28:46 UTC
No, its to your left. Brush up on your anatomy.
TheMeerkat (planetmeerkat.co.uk)
2006-04-07 14:03:20 UTC
It is tilted.