Question:
What organism has the highest number of chromosomes?
wetpaint123
2006-02-16 18:38:33 UTC
I need to find out what organism (plant or animal) contains the highest number of chromosomes.
Three answers:
echidna_2012
2006-02-16 19:09:07 UTC
dear

there is many polyploid plants which have very big polyploid number

but if u need an organism with the highest monoploid number

as i know it is a kind of Bracken which have 1262 chromosomes in its diploid nucleus

bye
2016-05-20 04:21:14 UTC
2006-02-16 18:47:37 UTC
The answer changes every few months as new polyploid plant strains are discovered.

Last I heard the record belonged to a fern of the genus Nephrolepus, but the website below suggests that a fern of the Ophioglossum genus is the current record holder. I have no idea whther my information or that website is more up to date.